Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 121 – Friday 28th May 2010

Today is the last day of school, and I am a little scared. The reason for this fear was a simple comment from another teacher,

“Make sure you are ready. This is not like England.”

He was right. At 9am we were all called together for an assembly. After 30 minutes the head of the school board and the manager got up to go. I naively thought that this was the end of the assembly. Everything was in Swahili so I was completely lost.

“What’s happening now?”

“The meeting is now officially open.”

This could be a long one.

Suddenly an hour in, as I am staring into space and dreaming of a Mr Whippy with Flake, I hear my name being called.

“Mr John, come and speak to the students about the importance of school.”

I kept it brief. It is a shame everyone else didn’t.

2 hours 28 minutes. The longest assembly of my life. We even had a student question and answer session, mainly about the toilets. It is always about the toilets.

Armorel’s day at the clinic wasn’t much better, and I think it is safest to leave it at that.

This afternoon I headed to Friday football in the hope of a change in my fortune. I dug out my old Yeovil shirt and headed off.

4-1 up inside the first 30 minutes and I had scored two, including a belter for 25 yards.

The rest of the game is a blur, and somehow it finished 4-4.

Tonight our family came over for dinner and John and I talked about pig enclosures.

Yes, we are getting pigs! Two piglets are on their way when their house is completed. 

Baraka and I played around with the cut grass this afternoon. This is the moment we attacked Armorel with great handfuls!

P1000787P1000789

No comments:

Post a Comment