Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 114 – Friday 21st May 2010

Armorel is a cardiac doctor.

Today she was running the cardiac clinic by herself. Very scary, yet also very impressive. She would have benefitted from a translator but without compliant she toughed it out and muddled through.

My day was spent finishing the marking and doing some whole school data analysis. The English grades were not as good as I would have hoped, but we are still improving.

The entertainment of the day was when I returned the exam papers to the students. I had watched with interest the same event with the other teachers. Without fail, within two minutes of the papers being given out you had a queue of students at the door wanting to complain, and trying to persuade you to alter the marks or fix a perceived mistake.

I decided I should entertain this tradition, though felt like telling them that I don’t make mistakes.

By the way I don’t and didn’t.

Most pupils were good natured and cheekily looking for an extra mark here or there, though one or two had a grievance to bear.

“The answer is breaks as it is plural and not singular.”

“No.”

“No, that is the answer so you don’t get a mark.”

“No I am right I need a mark.”

“Who is the teacher? Who speaks English?”

“I need a mark”

“You will get a zero for the whole paper soon!”

“I am right”

“Go away, you are wrong!” (Broken Swahili used. He got the message, only to be back within two minutes trying to convince me that his spelling of stoped was correct.)

I spent the afternoon working in the clinic office helping with some filing and trying to work out a billing system, before we headed off to Friday football.

A good turn out this week, but that didn’t seem to change my fortune. As the sun blazed down my team got weary and soon could only be found sitting by the goal. A 5-2 defeat!

This evening we went to Liz’s house, a UK nurse who is leaving this weekend, for a goodbye dinner. A lovely evening of glorious home  cooked Indian cuisine was had, though again we ate far too much.

After complaints from many of you. This is the view on our way to work in the mornings. We can’t complain!

P1000754

No comments:

Post a Comment