Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 43 – Thursday 11th March

We have survived, and yes we have power too! This is so exciting.

AND a hot shower. Not to be indulged though, a strict time limit is set. Since arriving in Tabora, I have been practicing the art of quick shower to see how fast I can wash and shower successfully. I have been getting close to about a minute.

Today I did not rush, 2 minutes of warmth.

Off to work we went. I spent the day trying to teach students the difference between ‘at’ and ‘on’, and Armorel taught her nurses how to put on sterile gloves. Both seemed to go well, though I am not sure my teaching has sunk in, I hope for the patients sake Armorel’s has.

I also attempted to teach ‘left’ and ‘right’, but marking their books later I either need to improve my handwriting or pronunciation. Here are just a few examples;

“Turn light”

“On the reft side”

“ hose 3 rigft said” (meant to be there are three houses on the right hand side)

Armorel also had to look after two 1 month twins. They arrived at the clinic with malaria and one also had pneumonia. They were pretty sick, but by all accounts very cute. A lot of hard work and a few drugs later saw them leave with their mum on the road to recovery.

That is why we are here!

Tonight, we were off for lasagne and even some garlic bread at Dr Ruth’s house. It turned into quite a party with 9 of us enjoying a lovely feast, with a surprise meringue for pudding. The bar has been truly set for entertaining.

Following dinner a game of Jenga was played. Jenga is actually Swahili for ‘Build’, so a very apt name and game. After being dubbed the ‘master of Jenga’ after the first round, the pressure was on and I succumb, knocking the tower down with an early foolhardy move.

It was then home for an ER, series 5 is drawing to an end, and bed.

P1000362 Oh…and this is our new house!

No comments:

Post a Comment