Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 156 – Friday 2nd July 2010

I felt a little guilty as I waved Armorel off this morning. I am having a stay at home day. There is not much work for me at the clinic and Friday football is again at 1pm, so I took the executive decision to do some bits and pieces at home.

The football was end to end, and hard work. My losing streak continues, with us going down 9-8. Though we were 8-4 down, so had a small comeback, inspired by a glorious / slow individual run from one box to the other, and a calm / scuffed finished into the bottom corner / just past the keeper.

I haven’t lost my touch, but I have lost some fitness, that lung busting run finished me off and it took me nearly the whole game to get back to halfway.

The other moment of skill was when my defensive hoof ended up in the top of a large mango tree, even more impressive was the 7 year old who had climbed it within a minute and retrieved the ball.

Armorel’s day seemed to be even more exhausting though, with even more patients, and sicker ones, and her first cardiac clinic with no assistance. Not even a translator.

That is hard, as every other mazungu gets a translator, except her. I imagine it is because she is so much better than the rest, but it is still tough.

Tonight I have been forced out the house.

A group of about 10 girls are descending on our house to have a ‘Pride and Prejudice’ evening. They seemed to have had a fun evening, ate chocolate and popcorn and did other girlie stuff.

I had an ‘interesting’ (explanations can be emailed if interested) night down the road watching football and playing pool, though sadly everyone decided to move on and not watch the second half of the Ghana game. We only knew of the excitement that I had missed, when at midnight the town erupted, only to be replaced by shouts of anguish moments later.

Is it wrong that I was cheering on Uruguay?IMG_3629

Another random photo of some scaffolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment