Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 244 – Tuesday 28th September 2010

Some might call this a bit of a medical day!

Amy headed off to see the regional hospital this morning and had her eyes truly opened. The most horrific story was that of a doctor’s ward round, which he conducted through a window as he didn’t want to be too close to the ‘infected’ patients.

Armorel was busy at the clinic with a large influx of patients to the ward, and a number of ECG’s to take. The nurses need training on the new machine and the doctors are so excited that many are being ordered.

Ally was surrounded by anti-virus software today which was his attempt at being medical.

I taught for the morning and headed over to the clinic for what I thought would be some admin fun. However, I was soon tasked with removing a boy’s cast, with a blunt pair of scissors. Luckily I found some old garden shears and so Armorel and I managed to cut, twist, pull and tear the cast off.

Then it got very interesting.

A patient on the ward suddenly went downhill, and signs and symptoms looked like meningitis. A lumbar puncture was needed (government requirement for all suspected cases), and I soon found myself assisting with the procedure.

It was very similar to the ones I have seen on ER, but not something I was expecting to be involved in.

It has been a long day. We have had a fun evening playing bird scrabble, and other silly games and are now heading to bed.

It is a village clinic day tomorrow!

DSC_1234

The builders working hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment