Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 275 – Friday 29th October 2010

We ventured off to work to see what fun and games we had in store today.

Armorel’s day was again very busy. They still have some very sick patients in and the member of staff who is a patient has gone downhill again.

I taught my first lesson and then waited for the staff meeting at 10am.

I still don’t understand why the head always has whole staff meetings in the middle of the day. It means of course that the students have no teachers from the start of the meeting until they go home. When I question such an idea I receive blank faces!

So the meeting was not very productive or pleasant. Firstly, my request for translation was met by annoyance and a very feeble attempt at keeping me informed. I still have no idea what agenda points 2-4 were about. I only knew what 5 was because I understood what they were saying and they were talking about me.

It’s hard!

So the problem is all about disciple, and the use of the cane. It is perfectly legal in Tanzania, but I am trying to get the school to think about other punishments and set new standards. My ideas were not received well, or objectively.I started to be blamed for colonisation and slavery, and when I managed to avoid that accusation it was because I was more superior and that they were just poor and uneducated.

I tried, but sadly their ears were shut.

I even got told that Christianity actively encouraged beating of children! I politely explained they must be following a very different God to me!

I don’t know what to do!

I escaped the meeting at 2:30pm, and sought comfort with a cup of tea. Armorel got home just before 6, exhausted and still not finished. She is working so hard!

We had a quick dinner at the Orion before heading home and crashing!

P1010323

No comments:

Post a Comment