Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 6 – Tuesday 2nd February

Today we moved on to the present tense.

Ninaitwa John. Ninatoka Uingereza. Ninapiga Mswaki.

I am called John. I am from England. I am brushing my teeth.

After lunch we headed into Iringa to try and get onto emails and to visit Neema Crafts. Neema is a project run by two CMS mission partners that works with the disabled to make crafts for sale and has a very good restaurant. You should check out their website they do phenomenal work in the community.

After forking out 50p for an hour of internet we headed to Neema for tea and cake. I must say the chocolate cake was better than I expected. Especially, as I hadn’t actually ordered it. I must work on my Kiswahili.

That evening after dinner, John nearly died!

Sat outside the banda, I was taking some photos of the stars and enjoying the sounds of Africa. We had managed to find a DVD of Bourne Identity, so I decided to head in to watch that.

I turn on my torch.

I am greeted by a pair of eyes, not more than 6ft away. Its orangey brown, it has spots, its cat like. I am in Africa. Its a ........ Leopard!?!??! Run!

 

 

 

It wasn’t a Leopard. It was a Genet, a large spotted Genet according to my wildlife of East Africa field guide. Quite a bit smaller than a leopard and probably more scared of me than anything, but still, up close and personal, my heart was racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment