Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 26 – Monday 22nd February 2010

It is chucking it down and has been for half the night. Today we are even taking our coats to school.

We spent our second night in our bed under the new mosquito net, only to be woken by cracking and us both rolling into the middle. I think my carpentry skills are needed for more than one job now!

Armorel had a busy day at the clinic, doing some translating of antenatal charts, which caused some serious brain ache. She also did wound care on a young girl with an impressive size wound. I will leave out the details as when Armorel was recalling them earlier I felt decidedly ill.

Today I was called into teaching action. No sooner had I arrived at school than I was thrust in front of 36 expectant children to teach them the structure of greetings. Did you know we had a structure?

A very different experience to teaching in the UK, firstly no one seemed to understand me, which I am sure is a new experience, and secondly no one would speak. My dancing around the room did get some quizzical looks though, so no change there.

Lesson 1 completed and it must have gone well as I was asked to repeat the lesson to the other class straight away. I was exhausted by the end. Just under 3 hours of non-stop teaching.

Tonight we enjoyed a wonderful homemade pizza, thank you Monika, and Armorel worked away on preparing some teaching materials. She is running three training sessions a week with the nurses and staff at the clinic.

We go to bed tonight thinking about transport. We have no car which is making us feel isolated and very dependent on others, but can’t really afford or justify running a car. We are not sure what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment